House Sitter Questions and Answers

Below are house sitting questions and answers specifically for house sitters.

Q: Will I get a House sitting job?
A: There are too many variables to guarantee anyone employment as a house sitter using our service. Things such as location choice, location flexibility, date flexibility, duration flexibility and how your profile is perceived, all play a part. Each Home Owners needs and expectations are different and ultimately they choose whom think will most suite their requirements.

Q: Do we get paid for House sitting?
A: Not usually, but everything is negotiable between you and the Home Owner. In the majority of cases it’s a straight swap where House Sitters care for the house and pets in exchange for free accommodation. However there maybe exceptions when a homeowner will offer some money for the house sitting position.

Q: Does the House sitter pay rent to the Home Owner?
A: No, in the majority of cases the House Sitter pays no rent .

Q: Do you get long term House Sitting positions?
A: Yes some can be. House sitting positions can be anything from 1 day to 2 or more years but generally the length of a House Sitting position varies between 1 week and 4 months although it's not uncommon for them to be 6 to 12 months.

Q: Who pays for the utility costs (electricity, gas, etc)?
A: Usually the House sitter pays for what they use although sometimes special circumstances may apply where these expenses are met by the householder. Everything is negotiable.

Q: Can I mind a home with my pet?
A: That’s up to the Home Owner, some don’t mind while others don’t like strange pets in their homes. It is a matter for discussion between both parties.

Q: How long does it take before a House Sitter can contact Home Owners?
A: Registering on the site and taking up the House Sitter membership option is quick and easy. Once registered you are able to contact Home Owners immediately.

Q: Can I mind a house with my family?
A: Yes but the not all Home Owners want families in their homes – others are happy to have children so their pets get extra attention.

Q: I live outside the country can I still join as a House Sitter?
A: Yes you can

Q: What payment options do I have?
A: You can pay by credit card or debit card. We use PayPal’s secure online payment gateway. You do not need to be registered with PayPal or need to be a PayPal member to be able to use your cards.

Q: How do House Sitters contact Home Owners?
A: You need to first register with us and then choose to become a member of our House Sitters program. Once you are a member all Home Owners advertisements will now show a messaging window which you can use to send them a private message. You will also be able to access the form enabling you to list your details in our House Sitters database.

Q: Do you send out renewal reminders?
A: Yes, we email reminder notices a few weeks before your membership expires.

Q: Is there a disadvantage to being a first time House Sitter?
A: Most Home Owners will consider first time House Sitters. There are many qualities a person brings to the job and just because you may be new it doesn't mean you will not be as good a House sitter as someone who is experienced.

Q: What is a Police Check and where can I get one?
A: A police clearance or police check is an official document stating you have no criminal record.

  • USA citizens:
    In the USA you can call in at your local police department, fill out a form and request they conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record. They will let you know what else is required, such as fees and providing them with notarized proof of identity. More information can be found here:
  • Australian citizens:
    In Australia you can either call in at your local police station and fill out a form or search on line for the term "police check" or "police clearance" followed by your State. The form and copies of proof of identity, needs to be endorsed by a JP and sent off with payment to the relevant authority. The fee is around $25 to $45 depending on which state you are in.
  • UK citizens:
    In the UK this document is known as a "basic disclosure" check. UK residents can obtain one from ‘Disclosure Scotland’, which is a government agency and covers the whole of the UK. A fee of £25 is required.