What is House Sitting?
House sitting is where people who need to leave their home for a time, whether for work or leisure, arrange for other people to live in and take care of their property and pets in exchange for free accommodation.
Benefits of House Sitting for the home owner.
All pets especially dogs and cats, love routine such as a set bedtime, play and eating patterns. A pet loves to be with their owner and around all the familiar things of home. Unfortunately you cannot always take them with you when you go away and on those occasions a house sitter is the perfect solution.
Your pets (and you) will be happy because:
A pet/house sitter also
Benefits of House Sitting for the House Sitter
There are many reasons people become house sitters. Some of them include:
Choosing the right house sitter
How do you make a decision and choose the right person to bring into your home to look after your pets and property? At Mindahome we have a free eBook for our members that covers the subject in depth however, put briefly, you need to get to know and feel comfortable with the sitter before you engage them. Here are a few basic guidelines.
- Read the house sitters profile. Does it match your criteria? (non-smoker, couple, retired etc), If references and Police Check are not attached, email house sitter and ask for copies.
- Look at their Police Check, it is current?
- Read and verify references - make a phone call to each one to verify. If a phone number is not included, ask the sitter for contact details.
- Question the referrer – ask if they would entrust their home to this person again?
- Do they have other references. These could include a reference from a Doctor, employer, friend or relative.
- Arrange one or two meetings with the sitter. If this is not possible try to arrange an online Skype meeting.
- Read the free Mindahome eBook - Guide to House Sitting. This has a section on ‘getting to know you’ and the verification process. It is full of important information and has sample Agreement forms, check-lists and so much more.
- Have a signed Agreement that both parties are happy with.
- If possible ask a friend or neighbor to call in from time to time to check that the sitter has everything they need. The sitter will appreciate this.